Happy to Stitch

Happy to Stitch
Stitching Again

Sunday, April 22, 2012

The Next Generation

Hey there everyone! I hope this post finds all of you enjoying beautiful spring weather like we are having here in Colorado. This weekend has been just beautiful! Nice warm temperatures, lilac bushes blooming, grass turning green, you get the idea:)

 It has been an especially nice weekend for me because I spent all of Saturday with my niece, Niah, teaching her how to sew. Niah started sewing about a year ago but she has really caught the bug since discovering computerized machines. She started learning to sew on her great grandmother's 1938 Singer, which worked really well since it was limited to forward, backward, and a simple zig-zag. However in February, she and I hit the Rocky Mountain Sewing Expo and she discovered computerized machines! So, yesterday, she came over and we made a day out of playing with my computerized machine. I am just amazed how fearless she is when she sits down at a machine she doesn't know and starts figuring it out before I even have the chair pulled up! LOL! I had three donation quilts to put together and quilt and thought they would be the perfect beginner project for her to tackle. She took to it like a duck to water! In no time, we had all three cut out and pieced together. Then she discovered decorative stitches:) ! She had more fun thinking about which stitches we could use to quilt the quilt than I ever would have imagined. We used stitches that I never considered using! It was a ton of fun! Her dad, my brother, called a couple of times to see if she was ready to come home to which she responded, no way! We are having fun! We sewed all afternoon, finally calling it a day around 9 pm. She seemed like she could have kept right on sewing for a few more hours, but man! I was bushed! LOL! Not sure when I got so old:)
Sewing straight!

 Any way, I hope you enjoy the pictures I put up. She inspires me to keep thinking outside of the box. I went to church today and turned our quilts in. Some little girl somewhere is going to received a quilt made by a very loving and enthusiatic 11 year old girl who cannot wait for the next "Stitch In" at Aunt Danielle's house! So from me to you, if you have a few minutes to spare and a willing participant, share what you know! The rewards you will receive far outweigh the time you will invest. Until next time, TTFN!

No comments:

Post a Comment